The UFC weltersweight champ, Ben Henderson, has been offered a three-year deal by the organization, UFC President Dana White said on Friday.
White said he had spoken with Henderson, who was the co-main eventer at UFC 190 in March.
Henderson, 30, was slated to make his UFC debut against Anthony Pettis on Nov. 30.
“Ben is a guy that we have been looking for for a long time and he has had a lot of interest in coming to the UFC and making his debut,” White said.
“We’ve had conversations with him about a three year deal and I think he’s been offered something like that.”
Henderson’s last fight in the UFC was a unanimous decision win over Chris Weidman in April 2018.
White added that Henderson is not only a hard worker but also a passionate athlete.
He said he has been talking with Henderson about his future in the sport, but no deal has been finalized.
Henderson was one of the most successful UFC fighters of the last decade and has been in the promotion since 2012.
The last time Henderson was in the octagon was against Georges St. Pierre in 2016.
Henderson retired from the sport in October 2019 after an 11-year career.
The UFC previously announced Henderson as a non-title contender.
Henderson made his debut in 2009, defeating Johny Hendricks in his UFC welts debut.
Henderson has won four of his six UFC bouts.
The fighter has a UFC record of 6-0 with one no-contest.
Henderson is ranked No. 4 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA welterweights rankings.
White has not publicly commented on Henderson’s situation and declined to say if Henderson would be promoted to welterminter at the UFC 190 card.
Henderson and Pettis are expected to face each other for the first time in UFC 190.